Monday, June 27, 2011

Summer Project: Week 4

And now fearlessly pursuing the one who gave His life for me...

Take a second and soak up the sentence above.  This past Sunday at church a group sang a song and this line stuck out to me big time.  Week 4 of Summer Project was dedicated to relationships. Yeah, that probably made you throw up a little but don't worry, it made me too.  When it comes to relationships I'm honestly not the best.. at all.  I am selfish, and quick to anger, and sometimes it's hard for me to love people but what I've learned in the past week is quickly making me turn theses awful traits of mine around all because of God's love for us.

When you think about relationships today you probably think of a girl and boy pursuing each other in hopes that one day they can marry and have lots of babies.  Although this is one of the main points of having a partner, or "soul mate", it shouldn't be your focus to have a guy (or girl) fill the void in your heart that belongs to Christ Jesus.  I've learned that your number one focus should be the pursuit of more God and when you are pursuing Him with everything THEN He will place someone in your life that will pursue Him with you.  You see, it's not about us at all.. it's all about God and until we realize that and discover that He is the only one that will ever satisfy us, we will be in a never ending pursuit of things that can't sustain us like God's love.

Society today does relationships all backwards.  I used to think that in order to be in a relationship with a guy you'd have to have all the lovey dovey feelings in the pit of your stomach that make you do crazy things first and then once you have feelings, you have to learn all the facts about them, and after you know their favorite color, favorite movie, etc you can squeeze faith in their somewhere.  But what I have learned that all of that in completely backwards from the way that God wants us to have relationships.  We should first allow our friendships to be rooted in Christ as a common factor, and then you should get to know the person, and then God will set special feelings for that person into your heart if it is His will.  The point of all of this is that we should be searching for a husband or a wife but we should be striving for more of God until He decides it's the right time for you to become one emotionally and physically with another person in the covenant of marriage.  And as for dating, we should honor marriage while we are dating someone by making Godly decisions within the dating process.

Joel 2:25 "I will restore to you the years that the locusts have eaten." God's grace is abundant in the area of restoring the mistakes that we have made in past relationships.  It is so encouraging to know that I am forgiven and seen white as snow in the eyes of the most high God.  The God that created this earth and universe views me as His precious bride and I am so very beautiful in His eyes.  His love and grace is indescribable and I don't even have the knowledge to comprehend how awesome and amazing it is to be able to dwell in the presence of God all because of the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross.

And now fearlessly pursuing the one who gave his life for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment